Friday 7 August 2009

In the Ottoman lands..

I am currently halfway though my trip around the old Ottoman Empire, or for those of you whose heads are not filled with History junk, Romania, Bulgaria and Turkey.

It all started a week ago when I landed in Bucharest. Fresh from a dizzying experience in London in which I got lost on my way to the British museum, I arrived at a European capital that could not be more different to our own. Stray dogs, crumbling buildings and abandoned cars will be my defining memory. Although the place had an odd, quirky charm about it, I cannot help thinking that if the Prime Minister himself has to park amongst overgrown weeds and broken concrete (as seems to be the case at the People's Palace), then the country has some way to go. Like Sarajevo, this will be an interesting destination to visit in 10-15 years.

Then it was over into Bulgaria and the charming medieval town of Veliko Tarnovo. This place was literally bursting at the seams with history. Nevertheless, I opted for a tour of the churches and monasteries of the local area - one of which - Ivanovo - is on the UNESCO list. I travelled with an Australian girl called Lucy and a Dutch brother and sister. Before I left Veliko I went to the top of the Tsaverets Fortress - a great symbol of Bulgarian pride and nationalism.

I then intended to go to Varna, but the complicated nature of the cyrillic alphabet dictated that I would end up in Sofia. The only good thing I can say about this is that I can tick off another European capital city. It was much nicer than Bucharest, though.

And now here I am in Plovdiv, 1 week into my trip and still with a week to go. This place boasts a Roman ampitheatre that was only discovered after a freak landslide in 1972. Tomorrow I head for Burgas for a few lazy days by the beach in preparation for an onslaught of the senses - Istanbul will hopefully be the highlight of my travels this year. I can hardly hide my excitement.

I will write at greater length soon!

No comments: