Tuesday 23 December 2008

2008 Round Up

In many ways, 2008 has been a hectic year for me. In short, the position I find myself in this December - living in Manchester in living in that mythical alternative universe commonly referred to by parents and, notably, Morpheus as 'the real world', bares little comparison to my status back in January.

Twelve months ago I had three weeks to run in my first teaching practice school in Keswick - heart of the Lake District. I have many fond memories of that school and remember not wanting to leave as I felt 'in my stride' and refreshed after the Christmas break. However, a return to university loomed at the end of the month and I settled in to being a 'student' for the very last time. This of course meant mid week drinking, getting up late and working when I dictated. Happy days.

So, after a couple of weeks which included an axciting excursion to Manchester for a research project on Bangladeshi migrants (this included a personal investigation into the whereabouts of a deported migrant by the name of Vinod Chauan in 1984. It was interesting to read first hand the insitutional racism which existed within tghe GMP at the time), I returned to Carlisle for my 11 week stint at the now defunct St. Aidan's Comprehensive School. Like gruelling army exercises of my youth it was one of those experiences that you didn't realise that you enjoyed until well afterwards. Although i wasn't involved directly in any confrontation, it was one of those schools where you don't feel particularly comfortable and i often took solace from the fact that it would not be my permanent vocation. I now feel for those who are struggling to run its successor The Richard Rose and Central Academies. God help them.

Speaking of God, it was about this time that, after four failed attempts, i finally secured employment at Crompton House School back in my old stomping ground of Greater Manchester. I celebrated by embarking with James on my first ever skiing adventure, courtesy of my current housemate Christian, who at the time was a chalet manager in the glamorous resort of La Rosiere in the French Alps.

Then it was back to St. Aidans for a final 7 weeks, after which the PGCE was virtually nailed. I completed the Great Manchester run, spent two weeks working at a Labour History Archive in Salford, then jetted off round the former Yugoslavia with Lehna.

Summer was an exciting time! I went to Blackpool, Berlin and Jersusalem! - and yes it was in that particular order. All offered satisfaction in there own particular way, however a special mention needs to be given to my sorjourn to Israel where I had a truly life changing experience learning about the Holocaust and how to teach it effectively in school. At the time of writing I am intending to start an MA course in Holocaust Studies from September 2010.

Finally, I have of course been 'cutting my teeth' at Crompton House School since September, and a busy 15 weeks it has been too! Next year promises to be more straightforward, now massive changes are expected. What I want to do is become a really good teacher (there's a way to go) and with breathing space before I start my MA, after Christmas it's time to 'get really good'...Aside from that, other potential highlights include a second trip to Poland, the Battlefield tour with school in July, wherever I decide to take myself for my summer holidays and a gig in Glasgow featuring the legend that is Bob Dylan.

I'm tentatively excited...a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all my readers (if any!)

:-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've inspired me to try and write a similar thing now. Admittedly mine will probably be considerably less interesting, at least if I try to think of things now.

A fun read, and all the best for the New Year.