Thursday 6 November 2008

Good 'ol BO

Like most people, I went into work yesterday with a spring in my step...Like most people I can safely assume that history was made on the 4th November and that date will go down in the record books (along with 9/11, perhaps?) as the two defining moments of the early 21st century. Hyperbole does not exist under these circumstances.

"Sir, did that Barack Banana person win last night?"
"Yes, Amy"

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a small lump in my throat as Barack Obama accepted victory. Cool, calm, collected - his words chosen carefully, measured, every-inch the statesman. Obama's oratory is inspiring, the way he uses his words harks back to Dr. King and Kennedy.

In my opinion he shares another, potentially devestating characteristic with these chaps - he's a target for assassination. Bush was never going to get popped. Right wing extremists would have seen him as no more that a namby-pamby politician slipping too far towards the so-called 'left' for their liking. Obama represents change - the last young Democrat promising that had his head shot off whilst travelling in an open top car in Dallas, Texas.

When he gave his speech, Obama appeared behind bullet proof glass for the first time - I should hope it won't be the last. Two neo-Nazi skinheads were convicted last week for a plot to assassinate the President-Elect. He will have to tread carefully, for all that is required for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing..

No comments: